The State of Washington has defined its rest area rules in both laws (RCW) and in a small set of Administrative Codes (WAC) adopted by the Department of Transporation…
The following laws were adopted with respect to use of Safety Rest Areas in Washington. These are the actual laws, published word-for-word, as codified into the Revised Code of Washington (RCW)…
Public Highways and Transportation
ROADSIDE AREAS—SAFETY REST AREAS
Limitations on use of rest areas.
(1) Except where specifically authorized by the department, it is unlawful for any person or persons to stop, stand, or park any vehicle, including but not limited to trailers, campers, and motorcycles, for more than eight hours within a twenty-four hour period, or for any person or persons to camp or to maintain a camp, tent, or other sleeping accommodation or facility, in any safety rest area within the limits of the right-of-way of interstate highways or other state highways or in other areas of state or interstate highways as designated in RCW 47.12.250. The department may also designate zones within a safety rest area with shorter parking time limits for the purposes of maximum efficiency and safety. Commercial vehicles may park up to an hour beyond federally mandated rest periods.
(2) Except where specifically authorized by the department, it is unlawful for any person or persons to stop, stand, or park any disabled vehicle, including but not limited to trailers, campers, and motorcycles, in any safety rest area for more than forty-eight hours, after which time the vehicle is subject to mandatory impoundment under RCW 46.55.080(1).
(3) The department shall post appropriate signage consistent with RCW 46.55.070(1) at all safety rest areas regarding the parking time limits in this section.
(4) The Washington state patrol shall enforce this section consistent with RCW 46.55.080(1), and to the maximum extent practicable.
[ 2019 c 436 § 1; 1984 c 7 § 205; 1967 ex.s. c 145 § 30.]
Washington Administrative Code (WAC)
The Washington Department of Transportation has adopted some rules (in addition to the above laws) specifying further prohibitions…
Department of Transportation
Rest area rules.
Pursuant to chapter 47.38 RCW, the purpose of these regulations is for the safety of the traveling public by governing the conduct and use of safety rest areas. The following restrictions apply to activities in safety rest areas:
(1) Parking is only permitted in designated areas;
(2) Litter containers are only for picnic and automobile litter;
(3) Pets shall stay in designated areas and shall be on a leash at all times;
(4) Open fires are prohibited;
(5) Aggressive solicitation for money or goods with the intent to intimidate another person into giving money or goods is prohibited; and
(6) Sanitary disposal systems are for dumping sanitary wastes only from recreational vehicles. Commercial vehicles are prohibited from using the sanitary disposal systems.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 47.38 RCW. WSR 95-07-106 (Order 150), § 468-32-010, filed 3/20/95, effective 4/20/95.]