The follow rules are codified as follows…
- Title 36. Parks, Forests, and Public Property
- Chapter I. NATIONAL PARK SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
- Part 3. BOATING AND WATER USE ACTIVITIES
§ 3.9 May I operate my personal watercraft (PWC) in park waters?
(a) A person may operate a PWC only in park areas where authorized by special regulation. Special regulations may only be promulgated in the 21 parks listed in the following table:
|Amistad National Recreation Area||Impounded Lake||TX|
|Assateague Island National Seashore||Open Ocean/Bay||MD/VA|
|Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area||Impounded Lake||MT|
|Big Thicket National Preserve||River||TX|
|Cape Cod National Seashore||Open Ocean/Bay||MA|
|Cape Lookout National Seashore||Open Ocean/Bay||NC|
|Chickasaw National Recreation Area||Impounded Lake||OK|
|Cumberland Island National Seashore||Open Ocean/Bay||GA|
|Curecanti National Recreation Area||Impounded Lake||CO|
|Delaware Water Gap||River||PA/NJ|
|Fire Island National Seashore||Open Ocean/Bay||NY|
|Gateway National Recreation Area||Open Ocean/Bay||NY|
|Glen Canyon National Recreation Area||Impounded Lake||AZ/UT|
|Gulf Islands National Seashore||Open Ocean/Bay||FL/MS|
|Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore||Natural Lake||IN|
|Lake Mead National Recreation Area||Impounded Lake||AZ/NV|
|Lake Meredith National Recreation Area||Impounded Lake||TX|
|Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area||Impounded Lake||WA|
|Padre Island National Seashore||Open Ocean/Bay||TX|
|Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore||Natural Lake||MI|
|Whiskeytown-Shasta-Trinity National Recreation Area||Impounded Lake||CA|
(b) Where authorized, operation of a PWC on park waters is subject to the following conditions:
(1) No person may operate a PWC unless each person aboard is wearing a Type I, II, III, or V PFD approved by the United States Coast Guard.
(2) A person operating a PWC equipped by the manufacturer with a lanyard-type engine cut-off switch must attach such lanyard to his person, clothing, or PFD, as appropriate for the specific vessel.
(3) No person may operate a PWC anytime between sunset and sunrise.
(4) No person may operate a PWC by jumping the wake, becoming partially airborne or completely leaving the water while crossing the wake of another vessel within 100 feet of the vessel creating the wake.
(5) If a park area is located within a State that has more restrictive regulations for the operation of PWC, then applicable State law applies in lieu of paragraphs (b)(1) through (b)(4) of this section.
Leave A Comment