The following rules are codified as follows…
- Title 36. Parks, Forests, and Public Property
- Chapter I. NATIONAL PARK SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
- Part 7. SPECIAL REGULATIONS, AREAS OF THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM
§ 7.47 Carlsbad Caverns National Park.
(a) Cave entry.
(1) With the exception of the regular trips into Carlsbad Caverns under the guidance or supervision of employees of the National Park Service, no person shall enter any cave or undeveloped part or passage of any cave without a permit.
(2) Permits. The Superintendent may issue written permits for cave entry without escort only to persons engaged in scientific or educational investigations. The Superintendent shall approve issuance of a permit provided:
(i) That the investigation planned will have demonstrable value to the National Park Service in its management or understanding of park resources, and
(ii) That the permit applicant is adequately equipped and experienced so as to ensure the protection and preservation of park resources.
(3) Solo exploration. Solo exploration or investigation is not permitted in any cave or undeveloped part or passageway of any cave within the park.