The following regulation is codified within New York Codes, Rules and Regulations (NYCRR) under…
- Title 6, Department of Environmental Conservation
190.29 Olympic area special regulations
(a) No person shall camp on lands under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Conservation in Olympic Zone I lying within an 8.75-mile radius from the Lake Placid airport off New York Route 86, from February 1 to March 1, 1980. Zone I encompasses Lake Placid, Ray Brook and the Olympic event sites. The exact boundaries are DSP control check points; Hulls Falls Road and Route 73 intersection in Keene, Fox Farm Road and Route 86 south of Wilmington, and the intersection of the railroad crossing with Route 86 west of Ray Brook.
(b) No person shall, between February 1 and March 1, 1980, enter or remain unlawfully on State lands, under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Conservation, at the Whiteface Mountain Ski Center, the Mt. Van Hoevenberg Recreation Area or the Whiteface Memorial Highway, inclusive of State lands described as follows:
(1) Whiteface Mountain area. Beginning at the Whiteface Landing trailhead, following said trail to the abandoned telephone line and Whiteface Brook to the castle at the upper end of the Whiteface Memorial Highway, also known as State Route 431; then along said road in a northerly direction to State Route 86; then along Route 86 in a southwesterly direction to southerly boundary of the High Falls Gorge property; then westerly through Sunrise Notch to the Whiteface Mountain foot trail; and then to Whiteface Landing to the place of beginning. All lands described are situated in the Jay Tract and Whiteface Mountain Tract, town of Wilmington, and in the Whiteface Mountain Tract and Township 11, town of North Elba.
(2) Mt. Van Hoevenberg. Starting at the intersection of Heart Lake Road and the South Meadows Road, northerly along the Heart Lake Road to where the State land boundary line crosses the Heart Lake Road; thence northerly along the State land boundary from its intersection with the Adirondack Loj Road to where it meets New York Route 73; thence easterly along Route 73 to the intersection with the Keene-North Elba town line, southerly along the Keene-North Elba town line to South Meadow Brook, easterly along South Meadow Brook to the Mr. Van ski trail, southeasterly along the Mr. Van ski trail to the Klondike Trail, westerly along the Klondike Trail and the South Meadows Road to the place of beginning at the Heart Lake Road.
(c) No person shall, between February 1 and March 1, 1980, enter or remain upon the following trails:
(1) in the town of North Elba, Essex County:
(i) the Klondike Trail, from the junction of the Yard Mountain Trail to the South Meadows Road;
(ii) the Mr. Van ski trail, from the Marcy Dam truck trail to the Mt. Van Hoevenberg Recreation Area;
(iii) the Sawdust Trail, from the South Meadows Road to the Mt. Van Hoevenberg Recreation Area;
(iv) the Cascade Mountain Trail, from Route 73 to the North Elba-Keene town line;
(v) the Pitchoff Mountain Trail, from Route 73 to the North Elba-Keene town line;
(vi) the Whiteface Mountain Trail, from Whiteface Landing to the North Elba-Wilmington town line; and
(vii) the Connery Pond truck trail, from Connery Pond to Whiteface Mountain Trail;
(2) in the town of Wilmington, Essex County:
(i) the Whiteface Mountain Trail, from the North Elba-Wilmington town line over the summit of Whiteface Mountain and to Route 431;
(3) in the town of Keene, Essex County:
(i) the Pitchoff Mountain Trail, from Route 73 to the Keene-North Elba town line; and
(ii) the Cascade-Porter Mountain Trail, from Airport Road over Blueberry Mountains, Porter Mountain and Cascade Mountain to the Keene-North Elba town line.
(d) No person shall camp on lands under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Conservation lying within the Olympic Zone II, described as connecting lines between Bloomingdale, AuSable Forks, Elizabethtown, exit 30 on Route 87 and point of intersection of Routes 3 and 30, known as Wawbeek Corners, without a permit from February 1 to March 1, 1980.