The following regulation is codified within New York Codes, Rules and Regulations (NYCRR) under…
- Title 6, Department of Environmental Conservation
190.34 Stewart State Forest
In addition to other applicable general provisions of this Part, the following requirements apply to Stewart State Forest. In the event of a conflict, these specific requirements will control.
For the purposes of this section, Stewart State Forest means all those State lands lying and situated in the Towns of New Windsor, Montgomery, Hamptonburgh and the Village of Maybrook in Orange County and consisting of the State-owned lands designated by the department as State Reforestation Area Orange #4, Stewart State Forest.
(b) No person shall operate or possess a mechanically propelled vessel other than an electric powered vessel on any water body on the property.
(c) No person shall possess or discharge a rifle or handgun on the property, with the exception of .22 caliber rimfire handguns.
(d) Camping is by permit only and limited to designated sites. The permit must be obtained prior to set-up. Camping is prohibited from the first day of the early bowhunting season in the Southern Zone to the last day of the late muzzleloading and bowhunting season in the Southern Zone.
(e) No person shall operate or possess a snowmobile except:
(1) on trails designated and marked by the department as a “Snowmobile Trail” and only when the trail is completely covered with snow and/or ice; and
(2) on frozen lakes and ponds when access to same may be gained by public highways lawfully designated for snowmobile use, or by trails designated and marked by the department as a “Snowmobile Trail”.
(f) No person shall kindle, build, maintain or use a fire except by permit from the department.
(g) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on the property, except:
(1) persons possessing a permit for such use from the department; or
(2) licensed hunters and trappers entering the area between one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset for the purpose of hunting or trapping from October 1st to December 31st, except when unsafe conditions prohibit such access; or
(3) adults accompanying youth pheasant hunters participating in the statewide youth pheasant hunt.
(h) From October 1st to December 31st:
(1) any person hunting must park their motor vehicle in a designated parking area and only then if the parking quota for that parking area is not filled;
(2) hunters shall hunt only on the same side of the road as their vehicles are parked;
(3) crossing of roads while hunting is prohibited;
(4) no person shall hunt or trespass in areas posted as restricted areas, except as permitted by the department.
(i) No person shall enter Stewart State Forest during the regular hunting season for deer as provided by Environmental Conservation Law section 11-0907, except for licensed hunters and trappers for the purpose of hunting or trapping or by permit from the department.
(j) No person shall enter Stewart State Forest during the first two days of the regular hunting season for deer without obtaining a reservation from the department prior to entrance.