The Florida Department of Transportation has adopted the following administrative rules with respect to public use of rest areas…
14-28.002 Public Use of Rest Areas, Welcome Centers, Truck Comfort Stations, and Wayside Parks.
Rest areas, welcome centers, truck comfort stations and wayside parks are provided for the rest, relaxation, and comfort of the traveling public. These roadside facilities are safely removed from the traveled way to provide motorists with a safe opportunity to stop and rest. Persons using these facilities shall comply with the following requirements:
(1) Group functions are prohibited.
(2) Camping is prohibited.
(3) The use of alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs is prohibited.
(4) Parking at rest areas and welcome centers is limited to a period of up to three hours, except for commercial motor vehicle operators and persons permitted under rule 14-28.005, F.A.C.
(5) Parking at rest areas and welcome centers is limited to a period of up to ten hours for commercial motor vehicle operators subject to hours of service regulations under the United States Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) or state law.
(6) All vehicles, including commercial motor vehicles, must be parked in the appropriate parking space designed to accomodate the vehicle.
(7) Animals must be kept on leash or in other appropriate restraining devices, e.g. cages, except for designated fenced no-leash exercise areas, if available. Animals, other than service animals, shall not be taken into any shelters or other buildings.
(8) No person shall disturb or injure birds, nests, eggs, squirrels, or any other animals within the area. Feeding of wild or feral animals on-site is prohibited.
(9) No person shall pick any flowers, foliage, fruit; or cut, break, dig up, or in any way mutilate or injure any tree, shrub, plant, grass turf, railing seat, fence, structure or anything within the area; or cut, carve, write, paint or paste on any tree, stone, fence, wall, building, monument or other object therein, any bill, advertisement or inscription whatsoever.
(10) No person shall dig up or remove any dirt, stones, rocks or other objects; make any excavation, quarry any stones or lay or set off any blast or cause or assist in doing any of these activities within the area.
(11) Fires are prohibited, except for facilities where grills are present and provided for this purpose. A person using a grill at locations where grills are present will be responsible for completely extinguishing the grill before leaving the area.
(12) No article or object shall be offered for sale within the area.
(13) Bottles, broken glass, ashes, waste paper or other rubbish shall be left only at such places provided for disposal.
(14) No person shall hook up his or her vehicle to electrical and water outlets.
Rulemaking Authority 334.044(2), 337.405, 337.406 FS. Law Implemented 334.044(13), (25), 335.02(1), 337.405, 337.406 FS. History–New 9-2-82, Formerly 14-28.02, Amended 10-25-89, 8-28-91, 7-6-93, 11-19-07, 12-5-18.
Leave A Comment