The Washington State rest area map presented below was compiled from data published by the Washington State Department of Transportation on September 30, 2023. These are all of the official WSDOT “safety rest areas”.
Washington State Rest Area Map
Click on a blue map marker to see more information about that rest area…
Washington State Rest Area Rules
The State of Washington has rest area rules codified into law (RCW) and in administrative code (WAC). The follow rules are current as of this writing (September 30, 2023). These rules were edited for easier reading. For the full (word for word) text of the regulations, please visit, “Rules for Using Rest Areas in Washington“…
- Parking is limited to 8 hours in a 24 hour period. Commercial vehicles are allowed up to 11 hours.
- Camping is prohibited, including pitching a tent or other sleeping facility.
- It is illegal to leave a disabled vehicle, including campers and trailers, at a rest area for more than 48 hours.
- Parking is only permitted in designated areas.
- Litter containers are only for picnic and automobile litter.
- Pets shall stay in designated areas and shall be on a leash at all times.
- Open fires are prohibited.
- Aggressive solicitation for money or goods with the intent to intimidate another person into giving money or goods is prohibited.
- Sanitary disposal systems are for dumping sanitary wastes only from recreational vehicles. Commercial vehicles are prohibited from using the sanitary disposal systems.
More About Washington State Rest Areas
More About Boondocking in Washington
More About Overnighting at Rest Areas & Truck Stops
Available at Amazon.com...
Note: the above list of books are not endorsed by Boondocker's Bible, but are recommended because they provide information relevant to this article. Boondocker's Bible will earn a commission on the sales of these books to help support our goal of providing free boondocking education to the public.